Saturday, July 26, 2014

Favorite Quote: Rethinking Productivity



I'm in the midst of pondering my use of time. My husband, Jim, and I are reading the FABULOUS book What's Best Next? by Matthew Perman to one another and enjoying leisurely discussions of our individual and family goals, schedules and general stewardship of time.

When I came upon this prayer in my time with the Lord yesterday morning, many of the sentiments struck deep as I ponder the shape that my days will take as this summer winds down. I'm going to paste this quote into my calender to read, peruse and perhaps even memorize during weekly and daily planning sessions. The Puritan who penned prayer 300-400 years ago this captures my heart's desire beautifully. I want the Lord to empty me of me. I want to do Kingdom work right where He puts me, day-in and day-out.

"God of My End,

...O how desirable, how profitable to the Christian life
     is a spirit of holy watchfulness
     and godly jealousy over myself,
     when my soul is afraid of nothing
     except grieving and offending Thee,
          the blessed God, my Father and Friend,
     whom I then love and long to please,
     rather than be happy in myself!

Knowing, as I do, that this is the pious temper,
     worthy of the highest ambition,
          and closest pursuit of intelligent creatures
          and holy Christians,
     may my joy derive from glorifying
          and delighting Thee.

I long to fill all my time for Thee,
     whether at home or away;
     to place all my concerns in Thy hands;
     to be entirely at Thy disposal,
     having no will or interest of my own.

Help me to live to Thee for ever,
     to make Thee my last and only end,
     so that I may never more in one instance
         love my sinful self."

Valley of Vision, "Devotion", pg. 237

No comments:

Post a Comment